The Department of State Services (DSS), says contrary to reports, it did not arrest the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu.
Magu was reportedly picked up earlier today by operatives of the Department of State Services and moved to the Presidential Villa to appear before a panel set up to investigate some allegations of corruption leveled against him.
In a statement released, the Public Relations Officer of the DSS, Peter Afunanya, said Magu was not arrested. The statement reads
“The Department of State Services (DSS) wishes to inform the public that it did not arrest Ibrahim MAGU, Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as has been reported by sections of the media. The Service, has since, today, 6th July, 2020, been inundated with enquiries over the alleged arrest.”
Tony Amokeodo, the spokesperson to the acting EFCC boss also denied the arrest reports.
According to him, Magu was only invited to appear before the panel set up by the Federal government to investigate the allegations of corruption leveled against him and the agency
The Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, has announced that the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) 2020 will hold from August 4 to September 5.
The examination which was earlier scheduled for April this year, was postponed due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Speaking at the daily press briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID19, Nwajiuba said the new dates were ratified after a meeting earlier today, July 6. He also announced that registration for National Examination Council NECO will continue.
From the 4th of August to the 5th of September. Parents please take note. Last week, the chairman of the PTF announced that school facilities will be available for those who want to go into revision classes. As soon as we conclude WAEC, we will take up the NAPTEP and NECO exams.
The idea here is that we have a month from now till . The states who are willing should make their schools available for their children to revise.
We have done the most we can with our representatives at WAEC. We have this afternoon confirmed that the dates allotted for the exams will be from on the 4th of August through to the 5th of September. Local timings will be published.
We are continuing with the registrations fro NECO for those who have not concluded” he said.
Ibrahim Magu, the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC, has been arrested by officials of the Department of State Services (DSS).
Magu who was arrested today Monday, July 6, is currently undergoing interrogation at the DSS Headquarters In Aso Drive.
According to reports, Magu was arrested over allegations he was diverting some of the funds recovered from suspected looters by the commission. It was learnt that the security details to Magu put up a stiff resistance during the arrest of their principal.
Magu’s arrest comes a few weeks after Abubakar Malami, the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), wrote a letter to President Buhari demanding Magu’s removal.
Malami in his letter accused Magu of corruption raging from diversion of recovered loot to insubordination and misconduct.
EFCC’s Spokesperson has since claimed that Magu was not arrested but only invited for questioning
The Federal Ministry of Works says it will be closing the ever-busy 3rd mainland bridge in Lagos for a period of six months beginning from July 24.
Disclosing this to newsmen today July 6, the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukayode Popoola, said consultations are currently ongoing for another phase of repair works to begin on the 11.8 km bridge. According to Popoola, the repair works would start on the outward mainland section of the bridge. He said the Ministry is already working with relevant agencies to ensure the free flow of traffic during the period.
The bridge has gone through a series of repair works and was last shut in August 2018 for a three-day investigative maintenance check
The man whose heavily pregnant wife cut off his penis in Taraba state has spoken out from his hospital bed.
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 32-year-old Halima Umaru, who is 8-months-pregnant, chopped off the penis of her husband, 42-year-old Aliyu Umaru.
Aliyu, who has two wives and two children – a boy from his first wife Halima and a girl from his second wife – groaned in agony as he lay on his bed at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Gombe State, where he was referred to after the incident occurred in Taraba State.
There was urethra catheter fixed to Aliyu’s body to pass urine as his dismembered penis was kept in nylon for safekeeping.
According to a relative who spoke shortly after the incident, Halima began acting up after her husband took a new wife 3 years ago. On the day she chopped of his male member, the relative alleged that she had drugged him and this made him sleep, giving her an opportunity to attack.
Speaking from his hospital bed, Aliyu said, “I’m a veterinary medicine dealer. I trade in animal drugs. I’m 42 years old with two wives and two children. The first wife had a male child and a female from the second.
“The first wife Halima is pregnant. I stay in Tella under Gasso LGA of Taraba State.
“I was transferred from the Federal Medical Centre, Taraba to the Federal Teaching Hospital, Gombe.”
Recalling the horrific incident, Aliyu Umaru said: “After I returned from work, I got water to take my bath and ate the food prepared by my wife before I slept. I was later awoken by a sharp pain and I screamed.
“My wife chopped off my ‘bura’ (penis).
“It was then neighbours were alerted. I can’t say if my food or water was laced with anything with the way I slept deeply. My wife has finished my life and it is unfortunate.”
According to reports, Halima had been having issues with her husband and the younger wife before the incident. The victim’s younger brother, 40-year-old Usman Umaru said the act may be connected with their mum’s plea that they should relocate, which Halima didn’t support.
He stated that the second wife visited their mother residing in Jalingo, the state capital, who urged them to relocate to Jalingo.
Usman stated, “We are originally from Lukari but driven to Tela due to the conflict. The family rented a house for him and they were to move from Tela to Jalingo on Wednesday morning.
“It was in the middle of the night that my phone rang and the caller was my brother who managed to tell me what happened to him. He was immediately taken to the Federal Medical Centre in Taraba, to stop the bleeding and undergo surgery. But they couldn’t perform the surgery because they said they don’t have equipment for his type of operation. It was there that they advised us to look for any available health facility.”
He added: “Our mum only insisted that my brother must leave Tela with his family to Jalingo. Already, his second wife is in Jalingo. My brother said his first wife was not comfortable with the arrangement. She didn’t want to stay in Jalingo.
“We told people not to touch her. The deed has been done and we can’t reverse it. We have left her to the Almighty God. Whatever is done to her will not bring back my brother’s manhood.’’
Appealing to well-meaning individuals to assist his brother, he said, “We are underprivileged and begging philanthropists to help us facilitate his pre-and post-surgery treatment. Right now we are expected to pay about N100, 000 for the procedure and medicine.”
Aliyu Umaru is reportedly stable and being properly administered with intravenous fluid as well as other emergency drugs.
A Kenyan policewoman identified as “APC Maureen” is currently on the run after shooting her husband twice with an AK-47 rifle at Dago Area in Nyalenda, Kisumu following a domestic issue.
The Administration Police officer who is based in Kisumu East Sub County, allegedly shot her husband for giving their house help Ksh50 for lunch without consulting her and also not picking her calls.
A police report which confirmed that the policewoman’s husband who is also a clinical officer at Milimani Hospital in Kisumu sustained injuries on the right side of the head just above the ear, revealed that the incident occurred while he was watching television.
The police report read;
“She stood at the door while armed with an AK-47 rifle. She told him she is going to kill him and herself then cocked the gun, shot at him twice injuring him on the right side of the head just above the ear.
“She then disappeared to an unknown place after returning the firearm to her fellow colleague APC Nancy at the office.”
K2TV reported that the lady’s husband was taken to Kisumu County Hospital where he was treated and discharged in fair condition.
Bisi Alimi has said that homosexuality was not a crime in Africa until the colonizers came and introduced Christianity.
The gay rights activist added that one cannot demand for decolonization of Africa while also being against homosexuality.
History 101; not one single African was a Christian before encounter with the colonisers. Homosexuality was not a criminal offence in Africa before the colonisers came. You can’t demand decolinising Africa and be homophobic at same time. Choose a side.
While the World is still battling Coronavirus which first broke out from Wuhan in China, authorities in another Chinese city, Inner Mongolia have issued an alert after a hospital reported a case of suspected bubonic plague, a rare but serious bacterial infection that is transmitted by fleas from rodents.
The health committee of the city of Bayan Nur issued the third-level alert, the second-lowest in a four-level system, for plague prevention and control that will last till the end of 2020
The Bayannur municipal health commission said in a press release on Sunday night, July 5 that the people’s hospital in Urad Middle Banner reported the suspected bubonic plague case in local herdsman on Saturday, July 4.
The patient has been isolated and is receiving treatment in a local hospital, where is said to be stable.
The commission issued an advisory for residents in the area to prevent people-to-people infection including not to hunt and eat animals that could cause plague infections.
It asked the public to “report any findings of killed or dead marmots and other animals, and report suspected plague cases, high fever patients with unknown reasons and patients dying from sudden deaths”.
The warning follows four reported cases of plague in people from Inner Mongolia last November, including two of pneumonic plague, a deadlier variant of plague.
Bubonic plague is a rare but serious bacterial infection transmitted by fleas from rodents.
A person infected with bubonic plague will experience the following symptoms: swollen lymph nodes, which can be as large as chicken eggs, in the groin, armpit, or neck. Others include fever, chills, headache, fatigue, and muscle aches.
Billionaire oil magnate, Prince Arthur Eze, has said that the Igbos support President Buhari and will remain loyal to him for his “tremendous provision of economic and infrastructural facilities” in the South-East since he assumed office in 2015.
In a statement released by his media aide, Oliver Okpala, Eze said Igbos have benefitted massively from the Buhari-led administration. According to him, projects such as the 2nd Niger Bridge, the Akanu Ibiam International Airport and the creation of zonal police headquarters (zone 13) at Ukpo Dunukofia in Anambra State, attests to the fact that Igbos have benefitted immensely from the present administration.
The statement in part reads
“President Mohammadu Buhari and the Inspector General of Police have demonstrated uncommon goodwill towards the people of the South-East geopolitical zone and should now rest assured of our unalloyed support and loyalty.
The modernisation and uplifting of the Akanu Ibiam Airport to an international standard with modern runway and facilities that can compete favourably with any airport in any part of the world, is another step worthy of commendation.
The concern of the South-East zone in terms of security, protection of lives and property has been tackled head on by the President
Citing a new police zonal headquarters as zone 13 at Ukpo, Dunukofia, in the Awka Capital Territory of Anambra State is a feat that has shown clearly that the President is man of the moment for the Igbo and the entire South-East.”
Franklin Amudo, a former manager of singer, Dapo Oyebanjo aka DBanj, has released an official statement regarding the rape allegation leveled against DBanj by a lady, Seyitan Babatayo.
In his statement, Franklin said he was the one who invited Seyitan to an event in Lagos where DBanj attended and performed on December 30, 2018. He said he gave Seyitan the keys to his room to pass the night at Glee hotel when she told him she couldn’t return home that night as it was too late. He did not sleep in the room as he had to go home to prepare for an early morning flight to Accra, Ghana.
Franklin said Seyitan called him later that night to allege that DBanj found his way into her room and raped her. He said he immediately called one Ajia Mohammed and informed him of the allegation Seyitan made. Franklin said Ajia told him not to worry about it and that he had given Seyitan $100, though the purpose for the money wasn’t stated.
Franklin said he was unable to ask DBanj at the time because it was the same period the singer lost his son and he felt it would be insensitive for him to discuss such a thing with him.